Support Animals Offer Help to a Number of Different Adults and Children
We live in complicated times. Fortunately, there are still a few simple answers. If, for instance, you are someone who suffers from depression, you can find comfort with emotional support animals for treating depression. Likewise, if you suffer from bouts of anxiety, you may decide to submit an ESA application as well. If you do not yet know what is an ESA letter, but you suffer from depression or anxiety, it might be time to find out. Studies, of course, continue to show that the companionship of a pet can ease anxiety and help owners through bouts of depression. In fact, in these complicated times it is important to realize that you can often find the comfort you need with the loyalty of a furry friend.
From students who are learning to deal with the anxiety of being in school to adults who are facing the challenge of PTSD after being in the military, there are many times when a support dog can be of help.
Certified Emotional Support Animals Provide Important Comfort to Many
What is an ESA letter is a question that many people who have never heard of this program before have. Simply put, an ESA dog letter is an application process that explains the anxiety, depression, or PTSD that a person faces, as well as suggests why a support animal may be of help. The online qualifications are pretty clear, but there are many times when a doctor’s note and other extra information can be of help. These specially trained animals are carefully matched with an owner and there is often a waiting period, as well as a training period, to make sure that there is a successful selection.
Consider some of these facts and figures about the many times when a service animal can be a great advantage:
- Affecting 40 million adults every year, anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the U.S.
- 26% of American adults live with a diagnosable mental disorder in any given year.
- One major airline carried over 24,000 emotional support animals in the year 2015, according to the International Air Travel Association.
- Although there are a few dogs that have been know to recognize well over 200 words, the average dog can understand about 165 words.
- 44% of U.S. families include at least one dog, bringing the canine population up to 80 million, but ESA dogs are specially trained to provide comfort.
- Representing 3.5% of the population, posttraumatic stress disorder affects 7.7 million U.S. adults.
If you are still trying to understand what is an ESA letter then you are a still a few steps away from getting the help that you need to deal with anxiety, depression, or PTSD.